Ninja

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Artist Statement

                                Artist Statement          
                              
    The chess piece I have chosen is the rook because when it was in the right spot, the chess piece had lot's of shading and different values in the shading. And with more shading and value I thought I could make the chess piece more realistic because that's the whole point of the assignment. Although the background is not realistic because it is a broken chessboard it makes the background more balanced and still keeps the focus on the chess piece. For my drawing I have used a few principles of design such as rhythm, contrast, movement, and asymmetrical balance. I have shown rhythm with my background because you follow each strip of the chess board off the page but another strip brings you back on the page and so on, the focus is still on the drawing itself. I have shown contrast because although I have only used pencil, I have used different shades and values to make the chess piece stand out from the faded background. I have shown movement because my background carries you along the page and brings you to the focus; the chess piece. The drawing flows together. Last I have shown asymmetrical balance because I haven’t put the rook right in the middle of the page , I have thrown off the balance just enough to make the drawing more pleasing and enjoyable to look at up close and from afar.
In the background we were supposed to create a pattern(s) that use different lines and shapes. Now I have used I simple background because I feel if the background is to intricate  and cluttered it will take the focus away from the main point of the assignment; the chess piece. I have used the theme chess and exaggerated the board to create a pattern and to add change to my drawing, that is why I chose the broken chess board. The chess board resembles water and how all the waves flow and crash together, it's soothing and attracting. When I started thinking about this assignment and planning I had millions of idea's but then reality came and I realized I wouldn't be able to show all my idea's. But I am pleased with my end result, especially with how my rook chess piece came out because near the start I was having problems making sure the lines were all parallel to each other so my chess peice wasn't leaning to one side. And for the background I wasn't sure if I should make the chess board light so the chess peice is still the focus or darken the board to show what a chess board really looks like, but then the drawing and shading values of the rook would be lost.
But hopefully you like the final result. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment